Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Albums Reviews.

So, if you read one of my earlier posts, I talked about albums I'm gonna start checking out, and listening to.

http://theinnovationofsilence.blogspot.com/2008/02/albums-i-plan-to-listen-to-starting.html

I've listened to four albums since then, and I figured I'd lay down my opinion on them.

I figured I'd give a little review over each of them, tell you what I thought.


1. A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
























I've been getting into Jazz lately, and so I figured- check out some John Coltrane, considered one of the greatest saxophonists of all time. I can't say I dug it as much as I dig "Walkin" by Miles Davis, or even "Kind Of Blue", but nonetheless- still a really great jazz record.

5.5/10

2. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots


























I've heard a lot about this record, but never really listened to it- nor the Flaming Lips for that matter. I thought it was alright, though a lot of it was repetitive chords, and arrangements. I still though it knew how to innovate at moments and go fucking insane into weird synth tones and stuff. There weren't that many tracks that stood out to me, but the one that really did was the first track "Flight Test".

6.0/10

3. Welcome To The Cruel World - Ben Harper
























So this was Ben Harper's first "real" album. He did a demo a year earlier. You can really note that he didn't know what he was doing when you compare it to "Lifeline". I still think it's good, there were only a few standout tracks to me; "Walk Away", "Forever", and "Mommas Got a Girlfriend". The latter being very funny. The other tracks are kind of bland to me, really. Still, It's not a bad album for those three tracks alone.

5.5/10

4. Ágætis Byrjun, – Sigur Ros

























Ah, Sigur Ros- my least favorite Post-Rock band. I don't mean that in a bad way- I mean it because Post-Rock isn't exactly a dominated field. It's a field of very few talented musicians. I'm still listening to the album right now, so I can't say TOO much about it. It's good though, very jazzy on some tracks. My standout track so far is Ny Batteri which means New Battery. It's good though, also... kind of predictable. You won't need another Sigur Ros album to understand how this plays out. Still a good album. If you DO like Sigur Ros, then I recommend these artists:

Do Make Say Think
Explosions In The Sky
Pelican
Fly Pan Am
Godspeed You! Black Emperor

All really good bands.

5.5/10

No comments: