Thursday, July 10, 2008

Differences that keep us together

I was having a conversation with a friend yesterday (for the sake of argument, we shall call this friend Matt- common name, short name, etc), and relationships came up.

This is a fragment of the conversation, somewhat improvised to save time:

Matt: Well she (his girlfriend) freaked out because she thought I called this fugly girl pretty.

Me: That's lame. I mean, even if you did call her pretty- which you didn't, there's not stopping you from thinking someone is attractive. If someone is attractive to you, then they're attractive to you- you can't automatically think someone is unattractive. There are attractive people out there, and you can't stop that.

Matt: I don't know, I don't think I could handle her saying a guy was attractive.


That's the part of the conversation that I want to talk about.
It's certainly insecurity when you can't handle your significant other calling someone else attractive, and it's obviously a problem to him... It's not to me.

I could care less.
I'm a fugly guy, I'm like a 2.5 on a 10 scale- and I know it!

A guy who is insecure thinks he's a 4 when he's actually a 8.5, and it's his insecurity that keeps telling him "she thinks he's more attractive", believe me- as a fugly guy who has had some decently attractive girlfriends, I can honestly say that looks don't count at a certain point.

Maybe I'm sounding like a tool, but I don't know- if you're secure, then you can talk about anything; even the attractive companionships of other human beings.

- Josh.

No comments: