Sunday, December 2, 2007

straight Up.

I'm feelin' pretty good right now, no particular reason- I just feel at easy. It might be because I'm listening to Tim Armstrong's solo record, but either way I feel good.

As you can imagine I had a boring as hell day, but I wanted to write and reflect on something.

80's Metal Vs. Emo/Indie/hardcore (whatever you want to call it, it's still depressing, therefore for the moment we will call it emo for the sake of argument.)

We shall examine these two grave possibilities in Clothing, Lyrical Content, and Video.

1. Clothing

Style is everything, it reflects what people see you as, and how weird you come off.


80's Metal:

Let's see, in 80's metal there was a whole lot of this:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(Band seen in photo: poison)

Wait, so these guys actually got laid, by women? There were plenty of sequins, leotards, cheetah stripes, aqua net hair spray, lipstick, and eyeliner.

Emo:

I couldn't think of one specific band to represent emo, when many in fact sound alike.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

(Band seen in photo: From First To Last)

There is a fair share of eyeliner and girl pants in emo, but at least you can't mistake them for men in most cases.

Winner: Emo


2. Lyrical Content

Music is nothing without the meaning of the words, or lack thereof.

80's Metal:


80's metal was about rockin' out! Getting laid, looking a girls, getting crazy, or so I've been told.

(From the Kiss song; Rock And Roll All Nite)

Rock 'n' roll
Baby gets tired, everybody knows
Your mother tells you, baby has to show
Yeah, yeah
Let me go

Um... So he wants to leave the baby, but his mom says the baby has to show... I... I don't understand. By the way- that was an entire verse.

Emo:

Emo is pretty much defined as music that uses emotion as it's strongest suit, which I guess is alright.

(From the Bright Eyes song; Lua)

I know that it is freezing but I think we have to walk
I keep waving at the taxis; they keep turning their lights off
But Julie knows a party at some actor’s west side loft
Supplies are endless in the evening; by the morning they’ll be gone.

So, I guess that means... No one likes him, nothing will last, and he really needs a car.


I don't know what the kiss song meant, but I want to dance and snort coke! That Bright Eyes song just made me sad.

Winner: 80's Metal.


3. Video

For many bands, the video is the mark that you're doing something right, and you're getting yourself out there, and someone is finally recognizing you. Now let us make fun of them.

80's Metal:

80's metal was notorious for having very beautiful women, and cheesier effects. Let us reflect.

Warrant - Cherry Pie



All that leather... What about that cheesy camera spin at the beginning?

3. Video

Emo:

Hawthorne Heights - Ohio Is For Lovers


Best example of emo I've seen in a very long time, but at least there was no cheesy camera spin.

Winner: Emo
Overall Winner: Emo


Well, it seems that girl pants and wrist cutting has beaten leotards and cheetah print. Please be aware, I didn't think of this well, and it's probably very unfunny, and very, very monosyllabic.








2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow kid you're a fucking cocksucker.

Josh Bennett. said...

Yeah, I do dabble in penile juices.