Thursday, February 28, 2008

Album Reviews, part three.

So, I suppose this is the third segment in my album reviews. I'm really digging critiquing albums and stuff, maybe I'm just weird. If you want to read the other parts, click here and enjoy. So, I guess this is the third section.

Also; I've decided that after I run out of albums on my "list" I'm gonna start reviewing newly released albums as well, just to give more of an updated opinion.


1. Late Registration - Kanye West























I gave "College Dropout" a pretty groovy review. I wish I could say the same about this one, I was less than impressed with this record. As far as Kanye goes, it's pretty solid- but you can see more R&B influence in it, and I kind of hate R&B these days, so it didn't really speak out to me. Same beats on those songs, but there were a few solid gems.

Standout Tracks:

Hear 'Em Say (Ft. Adam Levine)
Touch The Sky (Ft. Lupe Fiasco)
Golddigger (Ft. Jamie Foxx, and Ray Charles)
Gone (Ft. Consequence, and Common)

Score: 5.5/10


2. Graduation - Kanye West
























Seeing how the "Late Registration" turned out, I could only imagine how this one would go... I hate to say it- it was fucking awesome. Given the most annoying song is "Drunk And Hot Girls", the most of the entire record is pretty awesome, catchy and fun to listen to. Like I said- there are a few lame, boring tracks, but regardless of those- the albums is pretty much solid.

Standout Tracks:

Bittersweet (Ft. John Mayer, Bonus track)
Good Morning
Stronger
I Wonder
Can't Tell Me Nothing
Everything That I Am
The Glory
Goodnight

Score: 8.5/10


3. We were dead before the ship even sank - Modest mouse






















I dig some Modest Mouse, and this record is no exception. The entire feel of the album could be considered one long track, because it kind of has the same nature throughout. There are quite a few good tracks in there. While the feel of the album stays the same and sounds good- it eventually it gets old. It seems after it just started getting old, they change it up give you a cool track like "Little Motel".

Standout Tracks:

Dashboard
Fire It Up
Missed The Boat
Little Motel

Score: 6.5/10


4. Let's Face It - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
























So my opinion over the Mighty Mighty Bosstones is this: They rule, when it's a song when Dicky is singing, not screaming. As far as ska goes- this is a solid fucking record, full of great riffs, and great changeovers, distortion, trombone, etc. As far as this being a Mighty Mighty Bosstones album- it's an iffy. It's a good album, but with every Mighty Mighty Bosstones record, there are only a few tracks I really like. Dicky Barrett has such an amazing voice, that he doesn't need the screaming songs, he needs to more ska-core songs.

Standout tracks:

The impression that I get
Let's Face It

Score: 7.5/10


7. Medium Rare - Mighty Mighty Bosstones






















So, this is another Mighty Mighty Bosstones album- except this one is a collection of rarities, b-sides, and three newly recorded songs. For the most part it's VERY solid, and very awesome- and a cool view to see the Bosstone boys back at work with some music. There is also a lot of humour in here too- namely the song chocolate pudding, as well as some depressing in memoriam, a tribute to Desmond Dekker. As I said, it's a great album, even for a collection- but if this is your first Bosstones listen, then go for some Jackknife To A Swan, because this album is pretty much all over the place going from hardcore rocksteady, to some groovy reggae, some ska, andthen some punk influence- nonetheless, a good album and hopefully a new album on the horizon.

Standout Tracks:

Chocolate Pudding
Don't Worry Desmond Dekker
Katie
Is It?
Favorite Records

Score: 8.5/10


8. Zeitgeist - Smashing Pumpkins
























This is the first new Smashing Pumpkins album since 2000. Billy Corgan decided to revive one of the best bands from the 90's... Without the other members, with the exception of the drummer Jimmy Chamberlin. It's Smashing Pumpkins, but it sounds like a shitty, annoying cover band at times. I miss the old days- of Zero, and 1979! WHY BILLY CORGAN? WHY?! The few catchy, groovy songs on here sound immensely the same, with the exception of a few. For the most part it's just depressing to not hear the old Smashing Pumpkins, though let's hope the next album fares better.

Standout Tracks:

That's The Way (My Love Is)
Tarantula
Neverlost

Score: 5.5/10


So I guess this is it for part three. Next times I'll have some Miles Davis, New Radicals, and Millencolin for you :)

- Josh.

No comments: