Monday, March 24, 2008

Yes!

So, good afternoon.
It's my Monday of my Spring Break- and it's really uneventful.

Yesterday was Zombie Jesus day, and I ate a bunch of Ham.

Today- I'm lazy and sleepy.

Lately I've been listening to A LOT of ska, I don't mind it- I've always loved ska, but it's weird going back to listening to music you've all but forgotten.

Ska is definitely an underrated genre, so much good music- not enough good listeners.
Music is one of the few things I'm confrontational about.

My tastes are rather broad- and I'll listen to just about everything, though I do have a few exceptions:

1. shitty indie pop like "Neon Neon", "The Hush Sound", and some others.

2. Grindcore, Metalcore, Cybergrind, Deathgrind, Goregrind, anything where the music results in pulsating bass beats and "BREE", "DIE", "ROAR", "WHEAT", and etcetera.

3. 80's glam metal, for obvious fucking reasons.

4. Anything generic, overplayed and idolized: "Say anything", "Red Jumpsuit Apparatus", "All Time Low", "Fall Out Boy (okay, I have to admit- I like Infinity On High), and anything played on MTV, VH1, Fuse, or other stations at a constant.

5. Shit metal like Otep, Slipknot, Korn, and others.

6. Shitty new rap like "Soulja Boy", "Dem Franchise Boyz", pretty much anything that someone with down syndrome and access to Garage Band on mac can do.

Maybe I'm just picky and idiotic, but I like music that has something worth saying. Not bullshit. I like stuff that you can dance (not HxC dance, faggot) and have a groovy time to.

It may seem as though I was picking on some people's taste, but fuck that.
You want to listen to generic, then be my guest.

If I had to go on record and say my top ten bands, it would go something like this:

(No order)

1. Beck
2. Black Flag
3. RANCID
4. Mighty Mighty Bosstones
5. Miles Davis
6. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
7. Wu-Tang Clan
8. Less Than Jake
9. Common Rider
10. Godspeed You, Black Emperor!

I'd say that's a rather ranging list.

You've got some Jazz, Punk Rock, Ska, Rap, Post-Rock, and some unclassifiable music.

I'd just like people to open their minds, stop thinking "Well, I'm wearing the t-shirt, I straighten my hair, and I'm wearing Nikes- fuck I should only listen to Spice Girls and Grindcore", and start thinking about opening your mind.

I'm not REPULSED by that music, that I made fun of, but I'd much rather listen to Wu-Tang Clan over Soulja Boy any day of the week.



What are your top 10 favorite bands?


- Josh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite bands:

1. mewithoutYou
2. The Chariot
3. Showbread
4. Sufjan Stevens
5. The Blood Brothers
6. As Cities Burn (new)
7. Radiohead
8. Circa Survive
9. Norma Jean
10. He Is Legend

I guess, it's hard to populate a top ten list in a few minutes.



-Josh Jamison

Josh Bennett. said...

Thanks for the comment.
I know you didn't ask for it- but I figure I'll give a SMALL little opinion o'er each of the bands.

1. mewithoutyou

I've never really listened to them, they've just never been on my radar really.

2. The Chariot

Not really a fan of Christian oriented bands, but nothing against them.

3. Snowbread

Funny name.

4. Sufjan Stevens

Heard of, but never gave a good listen.

5. Blood Brothers

BIG FAN.

6. As Cities Burn

Another one not really on my radar,

7. Radiohead

I REALLY dig In Rainbows, it's fairly amazing.

8. Circa Survive

The American version of Sigur Ros, in my opinion.

9. Norma Jean

Heard, not really my stuff.

10. He Is Legend

Someone ruined that band for me.