Thursday, April 24, 2008

The State Of Music.

Good morning readers,

It's 9:37 AM right now, and I'm listening to "Workin'" by The Miles Davis Quintet. So far a very classically inspired Jazz album.

Whenever I tell people what I listen to, they seem astonished and mystified that I listen to it, which I don't know why- I just think it's good music.

Other (certain) people think what I listen to is "old people music", because it's not super-overdubbed, synthesized, and overly produced.

The old soul and blues like Al Green, Otis Redding, Ben E. King, Muddy Watters, Percy Sledge, Frank Sinatra, and many others were special BECAUSE it was real, those guys could actually sing like that, it wasn't dubbed nearly at all. What you heard on a record back then was what you heard live were almost the same thing, unlike many (if not most) bands or groups today.

Don't get me wrong though, I think there are TONS of kickass groups around right now; Bright Eyes, Two Gallants, Explosions In The Sky, RANCID, Black Keys, White Stripes, Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, Streetlight Manifesto, Raconteurs, and tons of others... but there are equally just as many bad; Velvet Revolver, Puddle Of Mud, Staind, Seether, Buck Cherry, and plenty others.

Music is a very subjective and intrusive field of conflict between people o'er who likes or dislikes a band moreso than another.

I like innovation, oddities, difference.

NOT the same drum beat, guitar riff, and rugged bass tune.
I guess that's why I never got into grunge.
Bands like Nirvana (whether you like them or not) were just so fucked. They could hardly play their instruments, and sing and they couldn't even do that well.

Grunge directly sparked from the post-punk era that was in decline after the fall of bands like Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Flipper, Meat Puppets, The Minutemen, and others- but Punk had something they didn't, but I can't quite place it at all, really.

Regardless- from Grunge, a bunch of shitty bands (that still populate MTV) were born.


Which... yeah.

I wish I could pick on grindcore even more, but come on- a fan of Grindcore can't take the stuff seriously, the music is a joke- the bands don't even take the stuff seriously, I've read interviews where they just say it's fun and easy to play because no one really cares and it's not going to last, but to just have fun with it instead.

That's pretty much proof that Grindcore is an ending generation.
It's just like any other genre.

Ska- Ska is just about having fun, but if you actually listen to the songs- all they sing about is being depressed and angry all of the time, and wanting to kill themselves. 3/4 of Ska sounds alike, I'll never defend that- but that 1/4 is to be treasured and watched over for ALL of eternity.

I've heard plenty of ska bands and just went "they sound EXACTLY like mustard plug" and turned it off, I've already listened to Mustard Plug, I don't want more.

Just like Punk.

There are very few Punk bands around right now that are actually good; Bad Religion, Rancid, NoFX, The Unseen, Dropkick Murphys, Real McKenzies, and Flogging Molly are just a few- those are just some standout bands that don't sound exactly alike the next band playing. Stuff that just screams about getting drunk for two minutes, then the next song is about anarchy, next song about mom and dad, etc.

Music is and will always be a subjective force that NO ONE can ever agree on.

Like me? I hate rockabilly, grunge, modern rock, and grindcore.
I love Ska, Old Hip-Hop, blues, Jazz, Post-Rock, some Punk, and Funk.

What do you dig?

No comments: